Proper facility layout and design can help reduce the risk of allergen contamination in a food manufacturing facility.Read More
Pablo Coronel, PhD
Director of Food Processing and Food Safety, Process Authority
Pablo Coronel holds a doctorate in food science and has 20 years of experience as a process engineer and food scientist. Coronel makes it his mission to combine both roles in a seamless and structured way. His expertise includes process and product design and development, novel technologies and hygienic manufacturing.
Prior to joining CRB, Coronel worked internationally in Ecuador for Moderna Food Group and in the Netherlands for Unilever. At Aseptia Inc., a North Carolina-based producer of aseptic technologies for food preservation, Coronel was responsible for research and development, design, optimization and food safety, He has also served as production manager of an industrial bakery and engineered a large-scale expansion project that included formulation automation, production, quality control and maintenance.
Although Coronel has participated in most aspects of innovative projects, he has an unwavering interest in scale-up. Coronel has repeatedly proven his ability to take simple, at-home kitchen processes and recipes and enlarge them so that they can be duplicated and produced on an industrial scale.
Coronel is recognized by the Food and Drug Administration as a food safety process authority. A food safety process authority must have expert knowledge of thermal processing requirements for low-acid foods. Many processes conducted by the FDA require an authority to facilitate, so this is a high honor for Coronel, who earned the designation through appropriate education, rigorous training and extensive experience.
Coronel has been the recipient of seven industry awards in recent years.
- Edison Awards, 2015 and 2016
- Institute of Food Technologists, Industrial Scientist Award, 2015
- North Carolina State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences, Outstanding Alumni Award, 2015
- Institute of Food Technologists, Industrial Achievement Award (awarded to Aseptia Inc.), 2015
- United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service Technology Transfer Award, 2010
- Institute of Food Technologists, Industrial Achievement Award (awarded to North Carolina State University), 2009
- Institute of Food Technologists
- Institute of Food Thermal Process Specialists
- Adjunct faculty at North Carolina State University Department of Food, Bioprocessing and Nutrition Sciences